Thursday, April 23, 2009

Getting Started

I became a Christian when I was 15 years old, and there was a change in my life, but I never really felt like I became a disciple of Jesus Christ. It recently occurred to me that if we are to fulfill the great commission and "make disciples", then we must first be disciples. I actually completed a significant discipleship course several years ago, called "Master Life". It was a very good course, and I learned a lot, but even so, I did not start considering that I needed to see the world through Jesus' eyes. A morning "quiet time" was not enough. Memorizing scripture was not enough. Witnessing to others was not enough.

I recently read "Just Like Jesus" by Max Lucado, and that got me thinking, but what really got me going is a book I haven't finished yet, "The Cost of Discipleship" by Deitrich Bonhoeffer. I have also just started a book called "The Training of the Twelve" by A.B. Bruce. Further, I started with Matthew this morning reading and taking notes from the Gospels.

No comments: